Friday, July 31, 2009

Knitting is the New Black

Just a quick post today, inspired by my recent window-shopping at Net-a-Porter.
So, as many of you may (or may not) know, I can knit.
I know, right, bring out the banners and cupcakes, girl can knit.
I'm not that good, but I do find it therapeutic, so I pull the sticks and yarn out every now and again just to calm down.
So, when I ran across Wool and the Gang on Net-A-Porter, I was kind of excited.
Not reallyreally excited, mind you, because knitting was cool long before Net-A-Porter was, but, you know, excited nonetheless. I mean, a company selling Knitting kits to fashionistas could only be good, right? There was a fuzzy vision of seeing Sartorialist shots of seeing Giovanna Battaglia sitting on a park bench purling away, or Aygness Deyn walking in Soho with brightly colored wool spilling out of her Balenciaga bag.
So, yeah, I was looking forward to it.
And, okay, I still am.
There's only one problem.
...
The kits?



Yeah... they start at $85.
Now, I'll be the first to tell you: knitting can get expensive. I mean, really expensive.
But $85? For a scarf? Holy crap.
And, okay, lots of fashionistas who shop Net-a-Porter (including the two ladies mentioned above) probably spend more than that on lunch. However, aren't we in a recession? Lots of us lowly plebians can't afford to spend $85 on a fall wardrobe, much less the materials to make one measly scarf.



Now, I'm not knocking Wool and the Gang. I mean, if they can make a living selling overpriced Hobby Lobby fare to the hip and trendy, more power to them. Hell, I'm jealous.
However, if you're like me and scoff at such unrecessionistas, I have a tip: skip Net-A-Porter. Joann's is your friend.

No comments: